Suzy Q's Life

*Things I Like * Things I Don't Like*

Friday, August 04, 2006

Play Nice

***I apologize in advance for this rant***

I have this t-shirt I bought only because of the happy phrase emblazoned on the front. Written in puffy white letters, it reads "Play Nice". Somebody somewhere tell me, what's so hard about that? I think I'm a pretty decent person, fair, polite, considerate. I'm not a people-person by any stretch of the imagination, but I take my attitude seriously so I take a "treat others the way you want to be treated" position (hence the t-shirt.) I am such a non-people-person that I'm exhausted by the effort when I finally get home from work. I'm much more of a data person. Oh, I love databases. The gathering of information, the input, the analyzing later, I could be a happy person stuck in a room with nothing but a computer and a stack of paper to go through. So the fact that I can lock away my introvert personality and take the initiative to greet people in a polite, helpful, HAPPY way, well, I just think anyone should be able to do it.
Which brings me to the purpose of this rant. Why do people hate each other? Why is it so hard to think like the person opposite of you? Why do I bring back exercises from seminars, desperate to make everyone work together happily (again with the happy), and it's blown off like so much computer dust? Why must people think they are so much more important? I must say I can only think of one person that is a truly together person who actually tries to help and keep an upbeat and positive attitude. (Everybody, quick, claim this person is you, you know you want to.) Positive attitude, maybe that's what I'm trying to make people take. Think to yourself, "how would I react to that if someone said it to me?" I'm losing patience with the people around me, but I honestly just want to tell them, "I'm not your momma, I'm not going to raise you, get some manners or get out." Which I, of course, am too polite to do. Is that the real problem? Am I really mad at myself that I don't take more of a ballsy approach? Am I just as bad as them?

My head hurts, I'm going to go watch a cartoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home